Saturday 9 February 2013

In a week's time

Hey guys,

So this week was a lot of fun, and comes before our week long mid term break. We made risotto, watched some movies (for educational purposes of course) and practised for our end of year MUSIC NIGHT!

This Tuesday consisted of a jam packed afternoon when me and my Home Ec partner got together and whipped up a tasty chicken risotto. It was the first time I had ever tasted risotto or even tried to make it. Before then I had always thought of it as such a hard dish to make... how wrong I was!

This week and last week (and for the foreseeable future) myself and my class have been slowly but surely making our way through two movies. The first of these two movies we watched in religion class. I'm sure you've heard of it, it's called 'The Pursuit Of Happiness'. The purpose of us watching this film is to teach us about poverty and the devastating effects it has on people's lives. On going with this theme my class have produced a play on homelessness. This is why we were in Mullingar last week for a drama competition, and I have news.... WE GOT THROUGH! So watch out for a future blog post on my trip to Cork for the finals!

The second of the movies we have been watching (this time in Geography class) is 'Contagion'. We have recently been learning about different diseases. Each of us had been assigned a different disease to research and make a leaflet about. Our leaflets consisted of vaccinations, causes and symptoms of different diseases. My disease was Tuberculosis. Not a very pleasant disease to withold!

Today in music class we continued practising for our Transition Year music night that will be held in May of this year. We are singing a mash-up medley of 'Hey Ho'- The Lumineers, 'Hall of fame'- The Script and of 'I follow rivers' - Lykke Li. It's great fun to perform and we're really looking forward to the night!
 
In other news, I have recently picked up a book from the school library. Our school library had been neglected for a long time and turned into an uncomfortable, cold class room. But, all of that changed this year and it has been completely transformed. We have gotten a librarian, new books (voted in by students) and there's talk of us getting bean bags, water fountains and computers! So, due to this drastic change there has been a lot of excitement produced about the library and I have been encouraged to read more books. So far I have read 'The Kite Runner' and am currently reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini. If you haven't already, RUN to your nearest book outlet and get yourself a copy of each, they are fantastic reads!

Till next week,
Ciara







No comments:

Post a Comment